Charles H. Hagan & Co.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charles H. Hagan & Co, Inc. was in the residential, commercial and
 industrial roofing, plumbing, heating and air conditioning business
for 85 years. For decades it was located at 301 4th Ave.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HUNTINGTON  Founded in 1916, Charles H. Hagan & Co. was engaged
in the residential, commercial and industrial roofing, plumbing,
 heating and air conditioning business for 85 years.

The company's founder, Charles H. Hagan Sr. (1891-1959), was born in
 Huntington and served in World War I. Before he started his own
business, he worked with his father, Joe Hagan, who opened
 a sheet metal shop shortly after rail tycoon Collis P.
Huntington founded the city in 1871.

For decades, the Hagan Co. was located in a building it built at 301 4th Ave.
 in 1922. Later, the company added 3,000 square feet of shop space to the
 building. In 1958 it rebuilt the building's front section, inside and out,
 turning it into a modern office suite. Ultimately, the company
 had 15,000 square feet of space under roof, with
 a parking lot along 3rd Street.

Charles Hagan's sons and his brother, William,
 were associated with the business.

The Hagan Co. was equipped to handle anything from a small home
 repair to a large industrial project. Over the years, it installed
 plumbing and heating systems at St. Mary's Hospital,
 the C&O Hospital, Marshall College's Morrow
Library and Laidley and Hodges Halls, as
 well as schools in Ceredo-Kenova,
 Barboursville, Milton and Logan.

In the late 1980s, the company moved to 431 Rear 6th Ave.
 According to records in the West Virginia Secretary
 of State's office, it went out of business in 2001.

In the 1990s, the former Hagan Co. building at 301 4th Ave. was
home to A&A Transmission Service. In December 2017,
the building was vacant when it was the scene
of a massive fire that left it a burnt-out ruin.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Note:  This Article and picture appeared in the Herald-Dispatch Newspaper on Mar. 04, 2019.

-----------------------------------------------------------

[ Back ]