Frederick Pharmacy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the grand Hotel Frederick opened in 1909, it included the elegantly
 furnished Frederick Pharmacy, located on the busy northwest
 corner of 4th Avenue and 10th Street.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HUNTINGTON  Drug stores have been an important part of daily life in Huntington
 since rail tycoon Collis P. Huntington founded his new town in 1871.

In 1910, when the first Huntington City Directory was published,
it listed 20 drug stores, including the Frederick Pharmacy.

When the grand Hotel Frederick opened the year before, it offered 150 guest rooms,
65 office spaces, two dining rooms, a ballroom, bar, billiard room, Turkish bath,
barbershop, cigar stand and the elegantly furnished Frederick Pharmacy,
 located on the busy northwest corner of 4th Avenue and 10th Street.

Fred Redding was the original proprietor of the Frederick Pharmacy. He was
succeeded by G.W. Keller and Roy Bird Cook, who later became proprietor
 of Cook's Drug Store in Charleston, a president of the American
Pharmaceutical Association and the long-time secretary
of the West Virginia State Board of Pharmacy.

In 1915, the Frederick Pharmacy was purchased by Dave Evendoll,
 Ellis Jones, Hugh Anderson and John Greer, who moved it out
 of the hotel to a new location at 1001 4th Ave.

In 1936, the long-time pharmacy was purchased by E. Guy Robertson and
 Guy Robertson Jr., who changed its name to the Frederick Drug Co.

According to records in the West Virginia Secretary of State's
 Office, the Frederick Drug Co. went out of business in 1942.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Note:  This Article and picture appeared in the Herald-Dispatch Newspaper on June 17, 2019.

-----------------------------------------------------------

[ Back ]