Guyan's Second Clubhouse

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guyan's second clubhouse, shown here, was destroyed in a 1954 fire.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HUNTINGTON -- Twice in its long history, the Guyan Golf & Country Club has been visited by fire
and forced to rise from the ashes of devastating blazes.

The Cabell Country Club, located in 1906 at what is now St. Cloud Commons, was the community's
 first golf club. Later there was the Westmoreland Country Club, located just east of Camden Park.
The 1913 flood caused officials with the Westmoreland Club to start
looking for a new location that would be high and dry.

Thus, Guyan, located on a rolling hillside tract on U.S. 60 East, was born in 1922.

Originally, the club was housed in the former home of John Ensign. In 1932, the clubhouse
 was destroyed by fire and never rebuilt. Instead, the locker room and pro shop were
enlarged and made into a second clubhouse, as seen in this vintage postcard.

Then, during the early morning hours of Jan. 23, 1954, the club was again struck by fire
 and the second clubhouse was destroyed. Rising to the challenge, Guyan
 had a new clubhouse designed and constructed in less than 18 months.

In 1982, the club undertook a massive remodeling project resulting in the
 modern look the clubhouse exhibits today.

Guyan is proud of its course, designed by famed golf architect Herbert Strong, and of its golfing heritage.
 Over the years, the club has played host to some of the country's most outstanding golfers and is
proud to have counted amateur golfing great Bill Campbell among its members.

Guyan is where Campbell learned the game of golf. He was a member of the club for 87 years
 until his death in 2013 at the age of 90. Guyan houses mementoes of his long career
 in its Campbell Room and has renamed its entrance drive in his honor.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Note:  This Article and picture appeared in the Herald-Dispatch Newspaper on April 14, 2014.

-----------------------------------------------------------

[ Back ]