Borden's Dairy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 1937, the Kennedy dairy Co. erected this large brick building on the southwest corner
of 8th. Avenue and 12th. Street. Borden's acquired the Kennedy Dairy in 1941.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HUNTINGTON Over the years, the Huntington area has been home to a number
 of dairies  Guyan Creamery, Spring Hill, Tinsley's, Blatt's and others.

One of the community's largest and best-known dairies was the
Kennedy Dairy Co., formed by Wallace Kennedy in 1930
 when he bought out the former Blue Ribbon Dairy Co.

Originally, the Kennedy Dairy was located at 8th Avenue and 14th Street,
but as its business grew that building proved inadequate. So in 1937
the company built a large brick building on the southwest corner
 of 8th Avenue and 12th Street. There it employed
 65 people in its plant and offices.

The Borden Co. acquired the Kennedy Dairy in 1941 and went on to
operate at the former Kennedy location for more than 50 years.

In the 1960s, Borden's Huntington plant processed and bottled milk from
 more than 170 dairy farms in the region. It also manufactured ice cream
which was distributed and sold throughout southern West Virginia.
 In 1970, the company halted all manufacturing at the building
and henceforth used it solely as a distribution center
 for products that were trucked in.

In 1983, Borden employees were treated to a visit by Elsie the cow,
 the dairy company's famous mascot whose face long adorned
Borden products. Elsie was in town for an appearance at a
 West Virginia Retail Grocers Association convention

Two years later, in 1985, Borden demolished the old Kennedy Dairy
building, saying it was "economically beyond repair." But the
company stayed on in the neighborhood, moving to a new
 building it had constructed next door. Ultimately,
Borden moved out and was replaced for
a few years by Broughton Dairy.

Today, all traces of the three dairy firms - Kennedy,
Borden and Broughton - have been erased and
their former corner location is the site of
 an Appalachian Power Co. substation.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Note:  This Article and picture appeared in the Herald-Dispatch Newspaper on Feb. 12, 2017.

-----------------------------------------------------------

[ Back ]