Borden's Better Foods


This photo of a BBF restaurant, taken at an unknown location, shows a building
essentially similar to the BBF that was located at 1302 4th Ave. Although much
altered from its original appearance, the building is still standing. Today it's
used as medical office.


HUNTINGTON -- From the mid-1960s to the mid-1970s, Huntington had three BBF restaurants.

The BBF fast-food chain was headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, and owners Roy Tuggle
and Milton O. Lustnauer opened its first restaurant there in 1961. The letters BBF
 in the chain's name originally stood for Burger Boy Food-O-Rama.

Eventually the chain operated 48 BBF restaurants in Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia,
 including three Huntington locations at 3211 Washington Blvd., 2930 Auburn Rd.
 and 1302 4th Ave. There was also a BBF in Ashland on Winchester
 Avenue at the foot of the Ben Williamson Bridge.

In 1971, Borden Inc. purchased the chain and the BBF name officially was changed
to Borden's Better Foods, but most people generally used the name
Borden Burger when they referred to the restaurants. Borden
went on to invest a great deal of effort and money in the
chain, but ultimately found it couldn't successfully
 compete with McDonald's and Burger King.

The dairy company's years of advertising had made Elsie the cow one of the
 best-known corporate symbols in American business. And it's been
suggested that many people who had grown up loving Elsie were turned
off by the thought of maybe having her in their lunch-time burger.

Whatever the reason or reasons for the chain's lack of success,
Borden finally pulled the plug and shut it down in the mid-1970s.

The Huntington building that housed the 4th Avenue BBF, located across the avenue
from the Greyhound bus station, is still standing, although much altered
 from its original appearance. Today, it's used as a medical office.


Note:  This Article and picture appeared in the Herald-Dispatch Newspaper on Nov. 9, 2015.


[ Back ]