Opened by Larry Glick in 1936, Dunhillís long was one of a half-dozen downtown Huntington
stores that retailed fine menís clothing. In 1964, Huntington businessman George Lambros
 bought the store and changed its name to Lambros and Sons. The store closed in 1981.


HUNTINGTON ó In 1936, Larry Glick opened Dunhillís, a menís
 clothing store, at 922-24 4th Ave., in the Hotel Frederick building.

A native of Providence, Glick came to Huntington as a young child and
attended Huntington schools. He then went on to earn a degree
 in business administration from The Ohio State University.

In 1963 Glick sold Dunhillís but retained managership of the store
 under a contract with the H.O. Nichols Co. of Toledo, Ohio,
which had purchased it. The following year, he left
Huntington, moving to the American Virgin
 Islands, where he accepted a post as
director of sales and public
 relations with the Carib
Gas Co. in St.

In 1965, he returned to Huntington and was named director of the
Downtown Improvement Group (DIG), an organization formed
 to promote the city. In 1967, he joined the Budd Co., a firm
specializing in commercial and industrial design and supply.
Later he served as director of the cityís Municipal
Parking Board. Glick retired in 1974 and later
 moved to Hollywood, Fla., where
 he died in 1982.

In May 1964, Huntington businessman George Lambros
 purchased the Dunhillís store from the Nichols Co.
and later changed its name to Lambros & Sons.

Lambros and his family operated the store for 17 years, but closed
it in March 1981. In an interview with The Herald-Dispatch, he
 cited several reasons for the closure, including the new
 competition from the Huntington Mall and the serious
illness of his wife, Mary Sue, who had been the
secretary/treasurer of the family business.
 She died a few months after the
 store was closed.


Note:  This Article and picture appeared in the Herald-Dispatch Newspaper on Sep. 7, 2021.


[ Back ]