Naval Training Center


This photo of the former U.S. Naval Reserve Training Center on Jackson Avenue dates from 1973.


HUNTINGTON — West Virginia Gov. Clarence Meadows and
Mayor Douglas Tomkies were among the dignitaries on
hand on Sept. 11, 1948, when Huntington’s new
U.S. Naval Reserve Training Center
was dedicated.

Located on Jackson Avenue at West 8th Street, the center was built by
Huntington’s Neighborgall Construction Co. at a cost of $343,000.
 The installation of training equipment at the center then
 brought its total cost to approximately $1 million.

The training center, with 32,000 square feet under roof, was constructed
on a two-acre tract of land purchased from the Sylvania Electric Co.,
which during World War II operated a nearby plant. The building
was partitioned into multiple offices and meeting rooms, with
 most of its rear portion constructed as a maintenance
area with roll-up doors.

The center served approximately 400 naval reservists from
 throughout the Tri-State area. Initially, it also served
 members of the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve
 but the Marines pulled out in 1964.

Over the years, the center received only minor repairs until 1987
when it got $918,000 worth of renovations, including a new
 heating and cooling system, along with new
 interior walls, floors and carpets.

In 2008, the Navy closed its Huntington training center when it
moved to a new facility at Red House, W.Va. In 2010,
 the General Services Administration sold
the building at public auction.


Note:  This Article and picture appeared in the Herald-Dispatch Newspaper on Sep. 21, 2021.


[ Back ]