Doors to the Past
Davis Creek Community
Civil War began in 1860. In 1861 he was chosen "Chaplain" of the Eighth
Virginia Regiment of the Confederates and served as Chaplain all through
the war. In 1865 Brother Johnson came to Davis Creek as Circuit Rider. He
was a wonderful man for God. Brother Johnson was born in Erie County,
Pennsylvania in 1823.
After Brother Johnson, Brother Hiram Moore came on this circuit in 1867.
He was a Kentuckian by birth and also a great preacher of the gospel.
While on this circuit he made a host of friends.
In 1869, Charles Crook came to this work and served as pastor until 1872
and then his brother John Crook took the work. They were both good
Adam Given was at this circuit three different times. He was beyond doubt
the most intellectual of all the others. He was never late at his
appointments scattered over Wayne and Cabell Counties. He was the main
promoter and builder of Dillon Chapel by the assistance of M. T.
Blankenship a local preacher at that time. Brother Blankenship was not a
college graduate but he was endowed with such intellectual powers to
enable him to preach the Bible from a true gospel standpoint.
The early doctors who practiced on Davis Creek were Dr. A. B. McGinnis of
Guyandotte and Dr. Randolph Moss of Barboursville.
Dr. McGinnis rode the country night and day whenever he was called. He
made a host of friends wherever he went.
Dr. Moss was always ready to go when called and by doing so he gained a
large practice from Barboursville to Wayne Court House and from
Barboursville to Logan Court House, as well as a host of friends. He died
several years ago but his widow is still living in Barboursville.
The first free school that was taught in Barboursville district was in
1867, by Henry Dunkle, in a little school house. In the following year
1868 John Thornburg taught. After Mr. Thornburg, Reverend Calvin Reece,
Fletcher Stewart, Lee Buehring, Miss Emma McCommas, Frank Brammer, A. H.
Melrose, Miss S. F. Aills, and Dr. Unseld who was counted one of the most
industrious teachers of his time. When in the school room (which was from
sun-up until sun- down with only an hour for playtime and that was at
noon) he was never idle a moment. He always built his own fires before
daylight and he also kept his "Elm Rod of Correction", in the top of his
boot and woe to the pupil whom he caught idling his time away. After Dr.
( 4 )