Cabell County History
Barboursville History
Cabell Co. Poor Farm
Cabell Creek Community
Davis Creek Community
Brief History of Heath Creek
Little Seven Mile Community
Lower Creek Community
Martha Community
Milton Community
Ona Community
Prichard School History
Memoirs of the Prichard School
Salt Rock Community
Huntington Homes
Indian Raid
Albert G. Jenkins
Elisha McComas
John Hunt Oley
Dwight Whitney Morrow
Thomas Buffington
Peter Marshall
Courthouse Monuments
Odds & Ends
Cabell County Timeline
Marshall University
Morris Memorial Hospital
Milton Honor Roll
Ousley's Gap
Golf Courses
Greater Huntington Wall of Fame
Blue Sulphur Hotel
Village of Barboursville
The Excavating of the Merritt Cemetery
Civilian Conservation Corps
Moundbuilders of Cabell County
Hit & Run Accident
Marshall Alumni Day
Blenko Glass
Wreck of the J. C. Rawn
Barboursville Brick Company
Huntington State Hospital
1933 Telephone Directory
1880 Milton Census
Huntington Barber School
History of the Milton Community
Fasenmyer Brewery
Carter G. Woodson
Stewart Drive Inn
Central Babe Ruth League

C&O Railroad


Burger Chef


Madie Carrol House


Last Hanging in Huntington 1892


C&O Reclamation Plant


Savage Land Grant



Doors to the Past

History of Milton

History of the Milton Community

Beginning about 1814, John Morris Jr. was bonded by the Cabell County Court and operated a ferry across the Mud River. By 1825 a covered bridge was erected and in 1834, when the upper covered bridge was completed, the ferry service stopped.. In 1825 John Morris Jr. sold Abia Rece 150 acres near the covered bridge. A stage coach stop was later established near the first covered bridge and by 1870 a post office known as Mud Bridge Virginia was established. John Milton Rece was it’s first postmaster. It was common back then for a town to be named after its first postmaster. When the post office was moved on March 10 1873, the name “Milton” followed.

After the Civil War the C&O Railway began negotiations for right-of-way through the village of Milton. The railway opened on December 14 1871 and in 1872 a depot was built.

David Harshbarger purchased 330 acres of land at public auction in 1871 for $6,650.00This is the tract of land where the town of Milton is located. On September 16, 1876 the Cabell County Court issued to Milton a certificate of incorporation.

1877          An ordinance was passed prohibiting horses from running on the streets.

      1880          The first Milton Fire Company was formed and the first Census
                   was taken in  June.

      1882     The town deeded two and one half acres for use as a cemetery

      1883     Unlawful for hogs to run at large in corporate limits.

      1884     Milton Hook and ladder Co formed. (Fire Department)

      1886     No hitching of horses or animals to the lamp posts.

      1897     The City well” was located on the corners of North Main and Pike

1898          James R. Dudley established the “Cabell Record”

      1901          The town of Milton granted a franchise to the Teays Valley
                   and Guyandotte    

                   Telephone Co to conduct telephone business in Milton. 

       1902         Oil and gas discovered in the Milton area.

       1903          Milton granted a franchise to Cabell Oil and Gas Co to
                    distribute gas to the residents and to power the street lamps.

       1904          The Bank of Milton is chartered.

       1908          William Jennings Bryan made a “whistle stop” in Milton during his
                    Presidential Campaign.

       1909         The C&O Railway moved it’s right of way from the center
                    of town to its present location.

       1912          The beginning of the Milton water system.

       1913          The Cabell County Court purchases the C&O right of way
                    for the US Rt.#60

       1915     Bus service to Huntington is established

       1916.     Paving of US Rt. # 60 From Milton to Huntington begins.

       1923      Electricity comes to the town of Milton.

       1927            Milton’s first fire station erected.

       1933             Milton’s first movie theater.

       1935      Morris Memorial Hospital and 181 acres is deeded
                     to the town of  Milton. (August 27, 1935)

       1936      Morris Memorial Hospital is leased by town of Milton
                     to Morris Memorial Inc.

       1939             Milton purchases it’s first fire truck.

       1940      to present………………………     many changes too
                     numerous to mention.


Templates in Time